We often hear how important maintaining a sense of well being is, but what does that actually mean in practice?
What factors contribute to feeling well?
(image by David Castillo Dominici at freedigitalphotos.net)
From researching this topic I have found what I believe to be important factors, in promoting good emotional health and well being.
- Good family relationships
- A manageable financial situation
- A positive work environment
- Community engagement and a good social network of friends, family and work colleagues.
- Health – this covers good physical health via eating well, exercising and sleeping enough. Emotional and psychological health via expressing emotions freely amongst trusted freinds and family or via a therapist. Self awareness, self acceptance and valuing oneself. Spiritual health for those who like to feel connected with universal energies, be that via God / organised religion or a belief in nature and appreciation for humanity at its best.
- Personal freedom – Feeling strong, empowered, liberated and in control of ones life.
- Personal values –knowing oneself, identifying whats important and striving to achieve it.
- Resilience and Patience to bear with lifes challenges
- Continue to stimulate the brain intellectually by learning new things to enhance and enrich your life.
Realistically how many of us can say that we have all of the above in place? Its inevitable that we will all face challenges in life at one time or another, its about how we cope and manage with the support we do or dont have that counts.
Looking at the list above it is clear that the polar opposite of those descriptions could result in depression, anxiety and mental ill health. Problems can develop and be perpetuated in an ongoing cycle causing distress, trauma, fear and a sense of helplessness.
Therefore understanding a persons past and present life in a fuller context by taking into account the above listed factors can help make sense of how and why people may feel the way they do. This in turn will help to identify appropriate support mechanisms.
In order to promote a healthy sense of well being we need to continue to develop as individuals. Ask for help from others when we need it. Forge stronger bonds and connect with others in the community, not just online in the virtual world but in real life socialising with people directly.
It is important that we learn more about ourselves and others. This will increase our self awareness and enable us to identify our own needs, desires, defences and vulnerabilities. This would promote improved self esteem, self compassion and self acceptance.
How can we help ourselves if we dont truly understand who we are?
Ongoing personal development is the deal of the day… it will provide valuable insights and stimulate the winds of change that you want to see in your life.